Give your brain a workout along with your legs and learn all about San Sebastián while riding the city’s fabulous bike trails.
Private Tour: Taste of Rioja Wine Adventure
- Starting Price For 2 pax
Discover and taste the well-known Rioja wines during this private tour
Many countries have their own wine regions, but few have the reputation that Rioja has achieved. Famous worldwide, the Basque Country plays an important role in the production of these much-loved wines, which you’ll learn all about on this full-day tour tailor-made for wine lovers.
- Your day starts with a two-hour trip to the geographical border of Rioja. If the weather allows, we’ll be able to enjoy an amazing panorama of this wine region from the viewpoint of Balcón de la Rioja. The trip will also be an opportunity to learn how the Basque region is divided and how Basques truly perceive it.
- Next, we’ll visit a famous winery located in the hills and meadows of Álava where the contrast of colours and the immensity of its vines will impress you and learn about the Spanish methods for savouring and classifying red wines.
- Our second visit to the wine cellar runs by small producers who are experts in carbonic maceration, a different way of producing wine. You’ll learn about this unique winemaking technique and how it compares to the way wines were traditionally produced in Rioja.
- Following our winery stops, we’ll have lunch in Laguardia, where tradition meets history. This historic walled town will make you feel as if you’ve travelled back to medieval times with its impressive churches and quaint, narrow streets. This will be the perfect opportunity to try a traditional meal in an idyllic place while learning about the town’s past.
- Finally, we’ll see some famous wineries like Marques de Riscal or Ysios to get a sense of their astonishing architecture in the vast lands of Álava. This is where prehistoric remains are easy to find, and we’ll visit what we call the “Witch’s Hut,” a megalithic dolmen around 5,000 years old! Then you’ll head back to the city with a new appreciation for Rioja wine and ready to head back.
Please note: if any of our favourite wineries are closed we will exchange them for another one.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide, all transportation and tolls, visit 3 wineries, set menu 3-course lunch in a local restaurant.
Exclusions: Additional food and drink, souvenirs, tips/gratuities.
You must be 18 years old to drink any alcoholic beverage in Spain. Underage travellers must adapt to this rule. This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
Child Policy: No age limit: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.